About electronic Clinical Quality Measures (eCQMs)
What are clinical quality measures (CQMs)?
CQMs measure health care:
CQMs quantify quality in our health care system. Measuring and reporting CQMs helps to ensure care is delivered safely, effectively, equitably, and timely. A compilation of measures used by CMS in various quality reporting and incentive programs is located on the CMS Measures Inventory Page.Back to top
What are electronic clinical quality measures (eCQMs)?
eCQMs use data from electronic health records (EHR) and/or health information technology systems to measure health care quality. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) use eCQMs in a variety of quality reporting and incentive programs.Back to top
Where can I find eCQMs?
Why are eCQMs used?
- For new payment systems that reimburse providers based on quality reporting and ultimately the quality of care provided
- For compliance with certification requirements
- For support of a Learning Health System
Where are eCQMs used?
- At the point of care delivery in the electronic health record (EHR)
- In reporting to CMS, the Joint Commission, and insurance payers
Who develops and uses eCQMs?
- Measure stewards
- Measure developers
- Health IT developers/vendors
- Quality Improvement Organizations
How are eCQMs reported?
An Eligible Hospital, Eligible Clinician, and/or Eligible Professional must use the version of eCQMs identified by the specific program when reporting eCQMs. Visit Quality Net for eCQM reporting guidance and the Quality Reporting Center for specific program reporting education.Back to top
How are eCQMs submitted to Registries?
Individual eligible professionals (EPs) and group practices participating in CMS incentive programs may be required to report eCQMs to a qualified registry. Visit the Registry Reporting page for more information.Back to top
How are eCQMs developed?Back to top
How is health IT certified for eCQM use?
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) certifies health information technology (IT) and eCQM reporting capabilities. Read more at Health IT Certification for eCQM Reporting.Back to top
Why are eCQMs updated annually?
CMS updates the eCQMs approved for CMS programs to reflect changes in:
- Evidence-based medicine
- Code sets
- Measure logic
How can I get involved in eCQM development and their updates?
CMS provides several opportunities to provide input on eCQM development and updates: public calls for measures, comments on measures under development, and participation on technical expert panels. Visit the CMS Measures Management System webpage and the Engagement webpage for a list of current opportunities.Back to top
How can I provide feedback on eCQM development and implementation?
CMS and ONC provide JIRA tracker tools to allow stakeholders to submit issues with eCQM implementation and development and receive feedback. Submit eCQM technical questions to the CQM Issue Tracker.
CMS program policy questions are not covered in JIRA and must be reported to the appropriate program helpdesk.Back to top
Where can I get help with eCQMs reporting and program issues?
For questions on the Hospital IQR Program requirements, policy and alignment, refer to the Inpatient Support Team (844) 472-4477 (8:00am – 8:00pm ET) or submit questions via the Q&A Tool: https://cms-ip.custhelp.com
For questions on the EHR Incentive Program (“Meaningful Use”), please contact the EHR Information Center (EHRIC) at (888) 734-6433 (7:30am – 6:30pm CT)
For questions on the Quality Payment Program (QPP), please contact QPP@cms.hhs.gov or (866) 288-8292
For PQRS Policy and Programs related questions, please contact the QualityNet Help Desk E-mail: email@example.com and Phone: (866) 288-8912 TTY: (877) 715-6222Back to top
Where can I learn more about eCQMs?
Resources and presentations on eCQMs and the standards and tools used in eCQI are located on the Education page.Back to top
Wednesday, January 18
Tuesday, January 17
Monday, January 16
Thursday, January 12
- 10:37am ESTEvent Reminder: Public Health Task Force - eCQM Zika Preparedness : Jan 12 2017 - 11:00am Reminder: Public Health Task Force - eCQM Zika Preparedness : Jan 12 2017 - 11:00am Lessons Learned from Electronic Clinical Quality Measures (eCQMs) Relevant to Zika PreparednessTechnical Standards and how they relate to current Zika challenges with data captureeCQM example: Chlamydia data capture shares common challenge with capturing pregnancy statusStandardization of clinical workflow aligning Best PracticesExample of one best practice for Zika preparednessGroup discussion on relevance to eCQMs to task force workWeb Conference InformationWeb Conference Information Participate online: http://altarum.adobeconnect.com/ONCtf/Audio: US toll free: 1-877-705-2976International Direct: 1-201-689-8798