What’s the Quality Reporting Document Architecture (QRDA)?
The Health Level Seven International (HL7) Quality Reporting Document Architecture (QRDA) is a standard document format for the exchange of electronic clinical quality measure (eCQM) data. QRDA reports:
- Contain data extracted from electronic health records (EHRs) and other health information technology systems.
- Can be used to exchange eCQM data between systems.
- Are the data submission standards for a variety of quality measurement and reporting initiatives.
- Were adopted by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) as the standard to support both QRDA Category I (individual patient) and QRDA Category III (provider’s aggregate) data submission approaches for Stage 2 of Meaningful Use (MU2).
QRDA Category I and III specifications have and will be used as Draft Standards for Trial Use (DSTUs). HL7 issues DTSUs during the standards development life cycle when many, but not all, of the guiding requirements have been clarified. DSTUs are tested and then formalized in the HL7 ballot process into an American National Standards Institute (ANSI)-accredited normative standard. QRDA Category I and QRDA Category III DSTUs were published in 2015.
CMS has developed and published a combined CMS QRDA Category I and III Implementation Guide for Eligible Professionals and Eligible Hospitals for the 2016 eCQM reporting. This guide:
- Is based on the HL7 QRDA Category I, DSTU Release 3, and QRDA Category III, DSTU Release 1, and its July 2014 errata update.
- Provides CMS-specific requirements for the Eligible Professionals and Eligible Hospitals, such as requiring the CMS Certification Number for hospitals when submitting QRDA Category I reports, by further constraining the base HL7 standard.
- Further constrains the base HL7 QRDA Category III standard to define CMS specific requirements for aggregated reporting by Eligible Professionals.
QRDA Reference and Implementation Guides for eCQM
For eReporting for the 2017 Reporting Period:
- 2017 CMS QRDA III Implementation Guide for Eligible Clinicians Reporting v0.1
- 2017 CMS QRDA III Schematrons and Sample Files for Eligible Clinician Reporting v0.1
- 2017 CMS QRDA Implementation Guide for Hospital Quality Reporting
- 2017 CMS QRDA I Schematrons, and Sample Files for Hospital Quality Reporting
For eReporting for the 2016 Reporting Period:
- 2016 CMS QRDA Implementation Guide for Eligible Professional Programs and Hospital Quality Reporting
- 2016 CMS QRDA Implementation Guide Appendix for Eligible Professional Programs and Hospital Quality Reporting February 2016
- CMS eCQM EP QRDA Cat III IPP_IPOP Issue Overview
- 2016 CMS QRDA I Schematrons and Sample Files version 2.3 for Hospital Quality Reporting (zip) (Updated October 2016)
- 2016 CMS QRDA I Schematrons and Sample Files version 2.3 for Eligible Professional Programs (zip) (Updated October 2016)
- 2016 CMS QRDA I Schmatron v2.3 Guidance for Hospital Quality Reporting and Eligible Professional Programs (New October 2016)
- 2016 CMS QRDA III Schematrons and Sample Files for Eligible Professional Programs (zip)
- HL7 QRDA Category I Specifications
- HL7 QRDA Category III Specifications
For eReporting for the 2015 Reporting Period:
- 2015 CMS QRDA Implementation Guide for Eligible Professional Programs and Hospital Quality Reporting
- Addendum to 2015 CMS QRDA Implementation Guide for Eligible Professional and Hospital Quality Reporting
- 2015 CMS/CPC QRDA III Sample File updated October 2015
For eReporting for the 2014 Reporting Period:
- 2014 CMS QRDA Implementation Guide for Eligible Hospital Clinical Quality Measures (Effective July 1, 2014)
- 2014 CMS QRDA Cat 1 Eligible Hospital Sample Files April 2014
- 2014 CMS QRDA I Implementation Guides for Eligible Professionals Clinical Quality Measures
- 2014 CMS QRDA III Implementation Guides for Eligible Professionals Clinical Quality Measures
- 2014 CMS Performance Rate Calculation Requirement for Eligible Professionals QRDA-III