Last updated: May 17, 2016
|CMS Measure ID:||CMS65v5|
Percentage of patients aged 18-85 years of age with a diagnosis of hypertension whose blood pressure improved during the measurement period.
|Initial Patient Population:||
All patients aged 18-85 years of age, who had at least one outpatient visit in the first six months of the measurement year, who have a diagnosis of essential hypertension documented during that outpatient visit, and who have uncontrolled baseline blood pressure at the time of that visit
Equals Initial Population
Patients whose follow-up blood pressure is at least 10 mmHg less than their baseline blood pressure or is adequately controlled.
If a follow-up blood pressure reading is not recorded during the measurement year, the patient's blood pressure is assumed “not improved.”
|Measure Steward:||Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services|
|Domain:||Effective Clinical Care|
|Next Version:||Hypertension: Improvement in Blood Pressure|
|Previous Version:||Hypertension: Improvement in Blood Pressure|
A higher score indicates better quality
Blood pressure readings must be taken while the patient is sitting. If multiple measurements occur on the same date, the last systolic and diastolic readings should be used.
Occurrence A of Physical Exam, Performed: Systolic Blood Pressure (result) represents the baseline blood pressure, which must occur prior to Occurrence B of Physical Exam, Performed: Systolic Blood Pressure (result), which represents the follow-up blood pressure.
To calculate the Physical Exam, Performed: Delta systolic blood pressure (result) data element, subtract the value of Occurrence B of Physical Exam, Performed: Systolic Blood Pressure (result) from the value of Occurrence A of Physical Exam, Performed: Systolic Blood Pressure (result).
The data element Physical Exam, Performed: Delta systolic blood pressure (result) is intended to represent the result of the mathematic comparison between systolic blood pressures taken during two separate visits. This is a calculation artifact, and there's no requirement to document the delta data element in the medical record.
- Copyright updated.
- Disclaimer updated.
- eMeasure version number incremented.
- Changed data type of 'result' or 'finding' to 'performed'.
- Introduced function 'satisfies all' to specify that qualifying events must meet all conditions from a set of conditions or 'satisfies any' to specify that qualifying events must meet at least one condition from a set of conditions to streamline expression logic.
- Introduced the new timing operator 'overlaps' to replace two lines of logic (AND/AND NOT) or to enforce when an event or set of events occur to meet the measure intent.
- Moved the FIRST operator and added a satisfies all operator to the initial population to capture the first visit that has an out of control blood pressure and a diagnosis of hypertension.
- Replaced 'ORs' with 'Union of' operator to provide a mechanism for specifying that qualifying event(s) must be a member of at least one of the data elements being unioned (if appropriate for measure intent).
- Replaced 'Patient Characteristic Birthdate' with 'Age at' operator.
- Replaced 'starts before or during' (SBOD) with 'starts before end of' (SBE).
- The top level logical operator for the Numerator Exclusions, Denominator Exclusions, Denominator Exceptions, and Measure Population Exclusions defaults to 'OR'.