Last updated: May 17, 2016
|CMS Measure ID:||CMS144v4|
Percentage of patients aged 18 years and older with a diagnosis of heart failure (HF) with a current or prior left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) < 40% who were prescribed beta-blocker therapy either within a 12 month period when seen in the outpatient setting OR at each hospital discharge
|Initial Patient Population:||
All patients aged 18 years and older with a diagnosis of heart failure
Equals Initial Population with a current or prior LVEF < 40%
Patients who were prescribed beta-blocker therapy either within a 12 month period when seen in the outpatient setting OR at each hospital discharge
|Measure Steward:||American Medical Association-convened Physician Consortium for Performance Improvement(R) (AMA-PCPI)|
|Domain:||Effective Clinical Care|
|Next Version:||Heart Failure (HF): Beta-Blocker Therapy for Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction (LVSD)|
|Previous Version:||Heart Failure (HF): Beta-Blocker Therapy for Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction (LVSD)|
Higher score indicates better quality
LVEF < 40% corresponds to qualitative documentation of moderate dysfunction or severe dysfunction.
To satisfy this measure, it must be reported for all heart failure patients at least once during the measurement period if seen in the outpatient setting. If the patient has an eligible inpatient discharge during the measurement period, as defined in the measure logic, it is expected to be reported at each hospital discharge.
-For patients with prior LVEF < 40%, beta-blocker therapy should include bisoprolol, carvedilol, or sustained release metoprolol succinate.
The requirement of Count >=2 of Encounter, Performed is to establish that the eligible professional has an existing relationship with the patient.
- Clinical Recommendation Statement updated.
- Copyright updated.
- Definition updated.
- Disclaimer updated.
- eMeasure version number incremented.
- Guidance updated.
- Reference updated.
- Changed data type of 'result' or 'finding' to 'performed'.
- Introduced occurrencing on variables to enforce that the same instance of a clinical event is used throughout the measure when the logic within the variable does not limit the event to a single instance, e.g., FIRST or MOST RECENT.
- Introduced the new timing operator 'overlaps' to replace two lines of logic (AND/AND NOT) or to enforce when an event or set of events occur to meet the measure intent.
- Introduced variable $HFEncounters144 to allow re-use of logical expressions and reduce redundancy/complexity.
- Replaced 'ORs' with 'Union of' operator to provide a mechanism for specifying that qualifying event(s) must be a member of at least one of the data elements being unioned (if appropriate for measure intent).
- Replaced 'Patient Characteristic Birthdate' with 'Age at' operator.
- Replaced 'starts before or during' (SBOD) with 'starts before end of' (SBE).
- The top level logical operator for the Numerator Exclusions, Denominator Exclusions, Denominator Exceptions, and Measure Population Exclusions defaults to 'OR'.
- Value set Patient Reason (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.526.3.1008): Deleted 1 SNOMED code (30164005).