Last updated: May 17, 2016
|CMS Measure ID:||CMS131v4|
Percentage of patients 18-75 years of age with diabetes who had a retinal or dilated eye exam by an eye care professional during the measurement period or a negative retinal exam (no evidence of retinopathy) in the 12 months prior to the measurement period
|Initial Patient Population:||
Patients 18-75 years of age with diabetes with a visit during the measurement period
Equals Initial Population
Patients with an eye screening for diabetic retinal disease. This includes diabetics who had one of the following:
|Measure Steward:||National Committee for Quality Assurance|
|Domain:||Effective Clinical Care|
|Next Version:||Diabetes: Eye Exam|
|Previous Version:||Diabetes: Eye Exam|
Higher score indicates better quality
Only patients with a diagnosis of Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes should be included in the denominator of this measure; patients with a diagnosis of secondary diabetes due to another condition should not be included.
The eye exam must be performed by an ophthalmologist or optometrist.
- Copyright updated.
- Disclaimer updated.
- eMeasure version number incremented.
- Added ophthalmology codes to the initial population to allow more providers to report the measure.
- Changed data type of 'result' or 'finding' to 'performed'.
- Introduced function 'satisfies all' to specify that qualifying events must meet all conditions from a set of conditions or 'satisfies any' to specify that qualifying events must meet at least one condition from a set of conditions to streamline expression logic.
- Introduced the new timing operator 'overlaps' to replace two lines of logic (AND/AND NOT) or to enforce when an event or set of events occur to meet the measure intent.
- Replaced 'ORs' with 'Union of' operator.
- Replaced 'Patient Characteristic Birthdate' with 'Age at' operator.
- Value set Diabetes (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.464.1003.103.12.1001): Added 54 ICD10CM codes.
- Value set Ophthalmological Services (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.526.3.1285): Added to measure.