Last updated: March 21, 2017
|CMS Measure ID:||CMS146v4|
Percentage of children 2-18 years of age who were diagnosed with pharyngitis, ordered an antibiotic and received a group A streptococcus (strep) test for the episode.
|Initial Patient Population:||
Children 2-18 years of age who had an outpatient or emergency department (ED) visit with a diagnosis of pharyngitis during the measurement period and an antibiotic ordered on or three days after the visit
Equals Initial Population
Children who are taking antibiotics in the 30 days prior to the diagnosis of pharyngitis
Children with a group A streptococcus test in the 7-day period from 3 days prior through 3 days after the diagnosis of pharyngitis
|Measure Steward:||National Committee for Quality Assurance|
|Domain:||Efficiency and Cost Reduction|
|Next Version:||Appropriate Testing for Children with Pharyngitis|
|Previous Version:||Appropriate Testing for Children with Pharyngitis|
Higher score indicates better quality
This is an episode of care measure that examines all eligible episodes for the patient during the measurement period. If the patient has more than one episode, include all episodes in the measure.
- Copyright updated.
- Disclaimer updated.
- eMeasure version number incremented.
- Added AND/AND NOT expression for Antibiotic Medications for Pharyngitis to capture patients whose antibiotic use starts more than 30 days prior to the Occurrence A of the diagnosis, but the antibiotic use continues into the 30 days prior to the diagnosis.
- Changed data type of 'result' or 'finding' to 'performed'.
- Changed the timing logic to use the new temporal operator 'ends after or concurrent with end of' to improve timing precision.
- Changed the timing logic to use the new temporal operator 'starts before or concurrent with start of' to improve timing precision.
- Introduced function 'satisfies all' to specify that qualifying events must meet all conditions from a set of conditions or 'satisfies any' to specify that qualifying events must meet at least one condition from a set of conditions to streamline expression logic.
- Replaced 'ORs' with 'Union of' operator to provide a mechanism for specifying that qualifying event(s) must be a member of at least one of the data elements being unioned (if appropriate for measure intent).
- Replaced 'Patient Characteristic Birthdate' with 'Age at' operator.
- Replaced 'starts before or during' (SBOD) with 'starts before end of' (SBE).
- Value set Antibiotic Medications for Pharyngitis (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.464.1003.196.12.10): Deleted 9 RXNORM codes (1113012, 240637, 240639, 312127, 312128, 312130, 476193, 476299, 597194).