Last updated: May 17, 2016
|CMS Measure ID:||CMS53v4|
Acute myocardial infarction (AMI) patients with ST-segment elevation on the ECG closest to arrival time receiving primary PCI during the hospital stay with a time from hospital arrival to PCI of 90 minutes or less.
|Initial Patient Population:||
Patients age 18 and older at the time of hospital admission or ED visit with a principal diagnosis of Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI) with hospital stays <= 120 days during the measurement year.
Initial Population and an ECG (result: Acute or Evolving MI) closest to inpatient admission and a primary PCI procedure.
AMI patients whose time from hospital arrival to primary PCI is 90 minutes or less.
Patients who have a specified medical diagnosis or procedure performed are the exception.
|Measure Steward:||Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services|
|Domain:||Effective Clinical Care|
|Next Version:||Primary PCI Received Within 90 Minutes of Hospital Arrival|
|Previous Version:||Primary PCI Received Within 90 Minutes of Hospital Arrival|
Improvement noted as an increase in rate
To identify the ECG closest to hospital arrival, the denominator will identify the most recent ECG performed that starts less than 1 hour prior to the emergency department (ED) or inpatient encounter OR the first ECG performed starts after the ED or inpatient encounter started.
For the denominator data element Diagnostic Study, Performed : Electrocardiogram (ECG) (result: NSTEMI) EHR implementations will need to develop mechanisms to capture ECG findings to support denominator criteria for this measure. The measure specification indicates allowable findings. The source of the ECG results should be a physician/APN/PA (rather than the ECG machine's computerized results).
Numerator element guidance:
This measure expects a PCI procedure within 90 minutes of hospital arrival. Those patients receiving PCI procedures greater than 90 minutes after arrival may be excluded from the denominator only if there is a documented reason for a delay or documented occurrence of intubation, cardiopulmonary arrest or mechanical circulatory assist device placement within the first 90 minutes after arrival. Patients receiving PCI procedures greater than 90 minutes after arrival and with no reason provided are not compliant with the numerator criteria and will remain in the denominator.
Denominator and Numerator element guidance:
For the denominator and numerator data element Occurrence A of Procedure, Performed: PCI and time of start, EHR implementations will need to develop mechanisms to capture the time the balloon was inflated, the time the stent was deployed, or the time a thrombectomy device was used to treat the lesion, whichever is earliest.
Exclusion element guidance:
Transfers from another hospital are excluded since care may have been delivered in the other setting. Transfers from those hospitals are considered exclusions regardless of whether the receiving hospital has the same or different hospital unique identifier as the transferring hospital.
PCI procedures analyzed in this measure must be primary procedures. Primary includes emergent or urgent PCI procedures and not those described by the physician/APN/PA anywhere in the record as elective, not emergent, not immediate, not primary, not urgent, or secondary.
From a clinical standpoint, Primary PCI is loosely defined as percutaneous coronary intervention performed in the acute setting in patients with ST segment elevation MI which is intended to restore perfusion in the infarct-related artery. In randomized trials and observational studies, this therapy is associated with significant reductions in the risks of adverse events, including death, in selected patients with STEMI.
Exception element guidance:
Medical or patient reasons for not performing a procedure or giving a medication are categories for valid medical or patient reasons that are not specifically listed in the exclusion section of the measure. Each is expected to be captured and made available for measurement or clinical decision support within the EHR workflow but the exact method or location of capture is a local or vendor decision.
Denominator, Numerator, Exclusion and Exception element guidance:
The criteria indicate scenarios in which the patient is admitted to the hospital directly or the patient is admitted from the Emergency Department (ED). The calculation is to indicate the timing from arrival at the facility to the occurrence of an event.
- Copyright updated.
- Disclaimer updated.
- eMeasure version number incremented.
- Measure Steward updated.
- Updated Guidance in the header to align with the measure logic.
- Updated Initial Patient Population, Denominator, Denominator Exclusions and Denominator Exceptions to be consistent across hospital measures and align with logic.
- Added a timing constraint to 'Encounter, Performed: Emergency Department Visit' and removed Occurrencing to constrain the time as intended.
- Added attribute Ordinality: Primary Procedure to PCI Procedure and created Primary Procedure value set to align with measure intent.
- Added logic to include a diagnosis of active AMI that starts during the ED visit to capture the start of the diagnosis.
- Changed data type of 'Result' or 'Finding' to 'Performed'.
- Condensed and combined the two sections of logic in the Denominator stating: AND NOT: AND: 'Occurrence A of Diagnostic Study, Result: Hospital Measures-ECG (result: 'Hospital Measures-Acute or Evolving MI')' AND: 'Occurrence A of Diagnostic Study, Result: Hospital Measures-ECG (result: 'NSTEMI')'. The new logic reads: AND NOT: 'Occurrence A of Diagnostic Study, Performed: Electrocardiogram (ECG) (result: STEMI Exclusions)'. Note: NSTEMI value set name changed to STEMI Exclusions to better describe its contents.
- Introduced $ReasonForNoFibrinolyticTherapy and $AnotherHospitalOrHealthcare Facility to consolidate and simplify logic.
- Introduced function 'satisfies all' to specify that qualifying events must meet all conditions from a set of conditions and/or 'satisfies any' to specify that qualifying events must meet at least one condition from a set of conditions to streamline expression logic.
- Introduced occurrencing on variables to enforce that the same instance of a clinical event is used throughout the measure when the logic within the variable does not limit the event to a single instance, e.g., FIRST or MOST RECENT.
- Introduced variable $EncounterInpatient to allow re-use of logical expressions and reduce redundancy/complexity.
- Removed 'Clinical Trial Participant' logic due to the inability to capture clinical trials that are specific to the measure.
- Removed 'Occurrence A of' from negated clauses to simplify logic (if appropriate for measure intent).
- Replaced 'ends before start' with 'ends before or concurrent with start of' to align across measures (when appropriate for measure intent).
- Replaced 'ORs' with 'Union of' operator to provide a mechanism for specifying that qualifying event(s) must be a member of at least one of the data elements being unioned (if appropriate for measure intent).
- Replaced 'Patient Characteristic Birthdate' with 'Age at' operator.
- The top level logical operator for the Numerator Exclusions, Denominator Exclusions, Denominator Exceptions, and Measure Population Exclusions defaults to 'OR'.
- Value set Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI) (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.666.5.3011): Added 29 SNOMED codes. Updated name from Hospital Measures - AMI to Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI).
- Value set Acute or Evolving MI (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.666.5.3022): Deleted 1 SNOMED code and added 4 ICD10CM and 15 SNOMED codes. Updated value set name from Hospital Measures-Acute or Evolving MI to Acute or Evolving MI.
- Value set Ambulatory surgical center (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.666.5.687): Updated value set name from Hospital Measures-Ambulatory surgical center to Ambulatory surgical center.
- Value set Aortic balloon pump insertion (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.666.5.1151): Added 4 SNOMED codes (16965008, 175113001, 432375008, 442807006), 2 ICD10PCS codes (5A02110, 5A02210), and 1 ICD9CM code (37.61). Updated value set name from Hospital Measures-Aortic balloon pump insertion to Aortic balloon pump insertion.
- Value set Cardiopulmonary arrest (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.666.5.748): Added 6 ICD10CM, 2 ICD9CM, and 10 SNOMED codes. Updated value set name from Hospital Measures-Cardiopulmonary arrest to Cardiopulmonary arrest.
- Value set Clinical Trial Participant (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.526.2.643): Removed value set from this measure.
- Value set Electrocardiogram (ECG) (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.666.5.735): Deleted 1 ICD10CM code (R94.31) and 1 ICD9CM code (794.31) to align with the intent of the measure. Updated value set name from Hospital-Measure -ECG to Electrocardiogram (ECG).
- Value set Endotrachael Intubation (OID 2.16.840.1.113718.104.22.1685.69): Added 3 ICD10PCS codes (5A1935Z, 5A1945Z, 5A1955Z), 6 SNOMED codes (232675003, 232678001, 232680007, 232682004, 243141005, 418613003), and 4 ICD9CM codes (96.04, 96.70, 96.71, 96.72). Deleted 2 SNOMED codes (225719006, 30963003).
- Value set Fibrinolytic Therapy (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.666.5.736): Deleted 1 RXNORM code (387020). Updated value set name from Hospital Measures-Fibrinolytic Therapy to Fibrinolytic Therapy.
- Value Set Medical Reason (OID 2.16.840.1.113822.214.171.124.7.1.473): Removed value set from this measure.
- Value set Patient Refusal (OID 2.16.840.1.1138126.96.36.199.7.1.93): Removed value set from this measure.
- Value set PCI (OID 2.16.840.1.1137188.8.131.525.67): Deleted 4 SNOMED codes (14201006, 446878003, 5431005, 68457009).
- Value set Primary Procedure (OID 2.16.840.1.1137184.108.40.2061.12): Added new value set with 1 SNOMED code (399455000) to this measure.
- Value set STEMI Exclusions (OID 2.16.840.1.1137220.127.116.115.36): Added 1 ICD9CM code (410.70) and 2 SNOMED codes (703360004, 70422006). Updated value set name from NSTEMI to STEMI Exclusions.
- Value set Transfer From Emergency Department (ED) Locations (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.666.5.3006): Deleted 19 SNOMED codes and added 2 SNOMED codes (225728007, 73770003). Updated value set name from Hospital-Measure (ED) Locations to Transfer From Emergency Department (ED) Locations.
- Value set Transfer from Inpatient (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.666.5.3013): Deleted 12 SNOMED codes and added 2 SNOMED codes (434771000124107, 440654001). Updated value set name from Hospital Measures-Acute care hospital to Transfer From Inpatient.
- Value set Transfer From Outpatient (OID 2.16.840.1.113818.104.22.168.101.950): Deleted 27 SNOMED codes and added 1 SNOMED codes (440655000). Updated value set name from Hospital Measures-Hospital outpatient department to Transfer From Outpatient.
- Value set Ventricular Assist Device placement (OID 2.16.840.1.113883.3.666.5.3015): Deleted 7 ICD10PCS codes, 3 ICD9CM codes, and 11 SNOMED codes and added 1 ICD9CM and 2 SNOMED codes. Updated value set name from Hospital Measures-Ventricular Assist Device placement to Ventricular Assist Device placement.