Last updated: May 17, 2016
|CMS Measure ID:||CMS31v4|
This measure assesses the proportion of births that have been screened for hearing loss before hospital discharge.
|Initial Patient Population:||
Live birth encounters at a hospital or birthing facility where the newborn was discharged during the measurement period.
Denominator is equal to the Initial Population.
Live birth encounters where the patient expires prior to discharge and has not received hearing screening for the left or right ear.
Live birth encounters during the measurement period where a patient born at the facility is screened for hearing loss prior to discharge or not screened due to medical reasons.
|Measure Steward:||CDC National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities|
|Domain:||Effective Clinical Care|
|Next Version:||Hearing Screening Prior To Hospital Discharge|
|Previous Version:||Hearing Screening Prior To Hospital Discharge|
Improvement noted as an increase in rate.
The measurement period is one calendar year but the reporting period is jurisdictionally defined.
- Copyright updated.
- Disclaimer updated.
- eMeasure version number incremented.
- Updated criteria in the Denominator Exclusions representing when a patient expires to harmonize across measures.
- Updated the Denominator header statement to be consistent across hospital measures.
- Updated the Numerator header statement to better align with measure logic.
- Added 'during Occurrence A of Encounter, Performed: Encounter Inpatient' for each 'AND:' statement in the Denominator Exclusions to clarify the logic in the left-hand side or right-hand side of a timing clause.
- Changed data type of 'Result' or 'Finding' to 'Performed'.
- For consistency across all measures, Discharge Status: Patient Expired is used as the criteria to determine if a patient expired during an encounter.
- Introduced the 'Intersection of' operator to specify the selection of the data sets common to all individual statements underneath the 'Intersection of'.
- Introduced variable $EncounterInpatient to allow re-use of logical expressions and reduce redundancy/complexity.
- Replaced 'ORs' with 'Union of' operator to provide a mechanism for specifying that qualifying event(s) must be a member of at least one of the data elements being unioned (if appropriate for measure intent).
- The top level logical operator for the Numerator Exclusions, Denominator Exclusions, Denominator Exceptions, and Measure Population Exclusions defaults to 'OR'.