Last updated: May 17, 2016
|CMS Measure ID:||CMS105v4|
Ischemic stroke patients who are prescribed statin medication at hospital discharge.
|Initial Patient Population:||
Patients age 18 and older discharged from inpatient care (non-elective admissions) with a principal diagnosis of ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke and a length of stay less or equal to 120 days.
Patients with a principal diagnosis of ischemic stroke.
Patients prescribed statin medication at hospital discharge.
Patients with a reason for not prescribing statin medication at discharge.
|Measure Steward:||The Joint Commission|
|Domain:||Effective Clinical Care|
|Next Version:||Discharged on Statin Medication|
|Previous Version:||Discharged on Statin Medication|
Improvement noted as an increase in rate
The unit of measurement for this measure is an inpatient episode of care. Each distinct hospitalization should be reported, regardless of whether the same patient is admitted for inpatient care more than once during the measurement period. In addition, the eMeasure logic intends to represent events within or surrounding a single occurrence of an inpatient hospitalization.
The Non-elective Inpatient Encounter value set intends to capture all non-scheduled hospitalizations. This value set is a subset of the Inpatient encounter value set, excluding concepts that specifically refer to elective hospital admissions. Non-elective admissions include emergency, urgent and unplanned admissions.
- Copyright updated.
- eMeasure version number incremented.
- Rationale updated to reflect FDA approval of novel oral anticoagulant agents (NOACs) for stroke prevention.
- Removed reference to observation patients from guidance header field, since value set does not include observation encounters.
- Changed data type of 'Result' or 'Finding' to 'Performed'.
- Introduced function 'satisfies all' to specify that qualifying events must meet all conditions from a set of conditions or 'satisfies any' to specify that qualifying events must meet at least one condition from a set of conditions to streamline expression logic.
- Introduced occurrencing on variables to enforce that the same instance of a clinical event is used throughout the measure when the logic within the variable does not limit the event to a single instance, e.g., FIRST or MOST RECENT.
- Introduced the 'Intersection of' operator to specify the selection of the data sets common to all individual statements underneath the 'Intersection of'.
- Introduced variables $EncounterInpatientNonElective and $InterventionComfortMeasures to allow re-use of logical expressions and reduce redundancy/complexity.
- Removed occurrencing and added timing constraint to 'Encounter, Performed: Emergency Department Visit' when this QDM element is used on the right-hand side of a temporal operation, to enforce a constraint that wasn't necessarily achieved through occurrencing alone.
- Replaced 'ORs' with 'Union of' operator to provide a mechanism for specifying that qualifying event(s) must be a member of at least one of the data elements being unioned (if appropriate for measure intent).
- Replaced 'Patient Characteristic Birthdate' with 'Age at' operator.
- The top level logical operator for the Numerator Exclusions, Denominator Exclusions, Denominator Exceptions, and Measure Population Exclusions defaults to 'OR'.
- Value set Discharge to Acute Care Facility (OID 2.16.840.1.113818.104.22.168.7.1.87): Deleted 1 SNOMED code (306699001) and added 2 SNOMED codes (306703003, 434781000124105). Updated value set name from Discharge to Another Hospital to Discharge to Acute Care Facility.
- Value set Lipid-lowering Agent (OID 2.16.840.1.113822.214.171.124.7.1.217): Removed value set from this measure.
- Value set Statin Allergen (OID 2.16.840.1.1138126.96.36.199.7.1.42): Deleted 1 RXNORM code (404775).
- Value set Statin ingredient specific (OID 2.16.840.1.1137188.8.131.521.7): Deleted 3 RXNORM codes (17767, 341248, 593411).