eCQM Tools & Key Resources
Overview of eCQM-related Tools
The eCQM tools and resources referenced in this section are openly available and are provided for stakeholder use. They provide a foundation for the development, testing, certification, implementation, reporting, continuous evaluation of quality measures and their improvement.
This user group is a community of Bonnie users that benefit from one another’s experience and questions, and allows the development team to easily reach out to the community regarding new releases, proposed features, and focus group opportunities. Follow these instructions to join:
The Certified Health IT Product List (CHPL) is the authoritative and comprehensive listing of Health IT certified through the ONC Health IT Certification Program.
This interactive tool details the different aspects of multiple QRDA validation tools that are available to submitters. It is intended to give users a single point of reference for these tools and assist them in selecting the most appropriate tool to meet their individual needs. The tool covers:
- Cypress QRDA Validation Utility
- Pre-Submission Validation Application (PSVA)
- CMS Secure Portal: For Hospital Reporting via QualityNet
- Submission Engine Validation Tool (SEVT)
CQL Online is a tool developed by ESAC, Inc. to provide a "sandbox" where Electronic Clinical Quality Measure (eCQMs) developers and implementers can "play" around with the Clinical Quality Language (CQL). The tools allows users to get a feel for what CQL looks like and how to write proper expressions in this new and powerful language.
More specifically, CQL Online is a syntax directed editor for writing expressions in CQL. It is open source and intended for educational purposes.
Cypress is an open source certification testing tool for evaluating the accuracy of clinical quality measure calculations in electronic health records (EHRs) systems and EHR modules. Cypress enables testing of an EHR’s ability to accurately calculate eCQMs. Cypress serves as the official eCQM testing tool for the 2014 EHR Certification program by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC). View slides from Cypress 101 session.
Cypress Tech Talks are an open forum for discussing technical implementation and tool issues with the Cypress team.
The Cypress QRDA Validator provides implementers with the ability to validate the conformance of QRDA Category I and Category III documents to the following implementation guides (IGs):2015 CMS QRDA Combined IG and the HL7 QRDA Errata IG for 2014.
A data element is a clinical concept such as a diagnosis, lab value or gender that is coded using standardized terminologies and collected in EHRs. The DEC is a list of all the data elements required by each clinical quality measure used by CMS for certain quality measure programs and by ONC for health IT systems to certify that they can capture. The DEC is maintained by NLM and available through the VSAC.
The AEGIS Developers Integration Lab (DIL) is an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Testing as a Service (TaaS) Open Access Solution for health information exchange gateway, interoperability, and compatibility testing. The DIL provides an easy-to-use system for performing conformance and interoperability tests against published specifications, standards, and profiles, including templates and implementation guides.
This webpage designed to support the eCQI implementation activities of the entire care team.
This website providing eCQI resources and connection with the community of professionals who are dedicated to clinical quality improvement for better health. Provides eCQM electronic specifications and their updates along with tool and resource links. “The one-stop shop for the most current resources to support electronic clinical quality improvement.”
This CMS webpage provides QRDA implementation guides for eCQM reporting.
These Igs are developed by CMS to support Quality Reporting Document Architecture (QRDA) Implementation for Eligible Professionals, Eligible Clinician and Eligible Hospitals for eCQM reporting.
These IGs are developed and published to provide a standard structure to construct a quality measure including metadata, data criteria, population criteria, etc. based on the QDM.
JIRA is a tool that allows stakeholders to submit issues with eCQM implementation and tools and receive feedback. Users with technical questions use JIRA to ask questions and report issues rather than submitting email, telephone or paper issues. Key topic areas covered include the CQM Issue Tracker (eCQM implementation), QDM Issue Tracker (QDM measure logic), QRDA Issue Tracker (QRDA implementation), Bonnie Issue Tracker (eCQM testing), and USHIK feedback. Policy questions are not covered in JIRA.
Kaizen, or continuous improvement, is a long-term approach to work that systematically seeks to achieve incremental changes in order to improve efficiency and quality. It focuses on removing process waste and maximizing value to the customer (in this case the patient). CMS and ONC have focused on eCQM development and implementation.
The MAT is a web-based tool that allows measure developers to author eCQMs using the Quality Data Model (QDM). The tool provides the capability to express measure logic and export measures in several formats, including a human-readable document that can be viewed in a web browser (HTML), the eCQM XML syntax (SimpleXML), and an eCQM HQMF XML document for integration with electronic health records (EHRs). Measure developers use both Bonnie and MAT to promote test driven development.
Thursday, April 20
- 5:47pm EDT
Thursday, April 6
Thursday, March 16
- 5:22pm EDT
Wednesday, February 22
- 3:07pm ESTEvent Reminder: Cypress & Bonnie Office Hours : Feb 22 2017 - 3:30pm Reminder: Cypress & Bonnie Office Hours : Feb 22 2017 - 3:30pm Cypress is the official testing tool for certifying Electronic Health Records (EHR) and EHR modules in the calculation of electronic clinical quality measure (eCQM) data for the EHR Incentive Program, Quality Payment Program (QPP), and other CMS Quality Reporting Programs (e.g., IQR, CPC+). Bonnie is a tool for pre-testing eCQM in the EHR Incentive Program. During the office hours, Bonnie and Cypress experts will address user community questions and concerns.
- 2:37pm ESTEvent Reminder: Bonnie: A Tool for Testing eCQMs : Feb 22 2017 - 3:00pm Reminder: Bonnie: A Tool for Testing eCQMs : Feb 22 2017 - 3:00pm Bonnie is a tool for pre-testing electronic clinical quality measures (eCQM) in the Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Program, Quality Payment Program (QPP), and other CMS Quality Reporting Programs (e.g., IQR, CPC+). The MITRE team will solicit feedback in an interactive session that includes a Bonnie overview and demonstration, updates on new features, and a preview of CQL in Bonnie. Visit https://bonnie.healthit.gov
Tuesday, February 21
- 7:37am ESTEvent Reminder: Cypress v3: eCQM Calculation & Certification : Feb 21 2017 - 8:00am Reminder: Cypress v3: eCQM Calculation & Certification : Feb 21 2017 - 8:00am Cypress is the official testing tool for certifying Electronic Health Records (EHR) and EHR modules in the calculation of electronic clinical quality measure (eCQM) data for the EHR Incentive Program, Quality Payment Program (QPP), and other CMS Quality Reporting Programs (e.g., IQR, CPC+). This interactive session will include an overview and demonstration of Cypress v3, supporting the 2015 EHR certification program. Visit http://healthit.gov/cypress
Monday, February 13
Thursday, February 9
Tuesday, January 17
- 12:37pm ESTEvent Reminder: Cypress Testing Tool "Tech Talk" : Jan 17 2017 - 1:00pm Reminder: Cypress Testing Tool "Tech Talk" : Jan 17 2017 - 1:00pm Bi-weekly Cypress "Tech Talk" call is held to review issues that arise when using the Cypress testing tool which verifies appropriate Electronic Health Record (EHRs) and EHR modules calculation of electronic Clinical Quality Measures (eCQMs). In order to help ensure that these calls are meeting your needs, you are invited to submit your questions to the Cypress Talk List on the Friday prior to each planned call. Register for the Cypress Tech Talk now at: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4320153072701235201 Once Registered, you will receive an email confirming your registration with the information you need to join the webinar